I was surprised to read that over 40% of married couples with children in the United States right now involve at least one child from a previous relationship. That means that over 40% of married couples are probably working hard to become a harmonious blended family. While every stepmother wants to waltz into a happy household, every stepparent relationship doesn’t always get off to an awesome start.
Building Rapport with Your Stepchild
Don’t go into the situation with unrealistic expectations. Instead, focus on small steps to strengthen your relationship with your stepchild. Small things, like paying attention to what cereal they like or making a point to ask about a friend, can build a good foundation.
- Be supportive of your new stepchild. Recognize that every parent is important to a child, and you will never be the same as their other parents. Instead of trying to replace a parent, instead focus on building a new, fresh relationship and always be yourself.
- Work with your spouse to be in constant, open communication about the entire family. By being mutually supportive and making decisions together, you can always have back-up and someone encouraging the relationship between you and your stepchild.
- Before you can take a disciplinary role, you need to earn your stepchild’s respect. If you waltz in and act like you rule the roost now, you will rub your new stepchild the wrong way and do nothing to improve their idea of you. In the start, a stepparent should be involved in rule-making but not enforcement. Always present rule changes as a joint decision to avoid painting you as the villain.
- Be persistent. Family life doesn’t snap into alignment overnight, so keep in mind that it could take years before you have an awesome rapport with your stepchild. However, if you keep working at it, the benefits will far outweigh challenges.
- Let the child set the pace for your relationship. If they are open and want affection from you, don’t waste the opportunity. However, if they are combative and hostile, don’t force your affection on them.
Strengthen Your Blended Family with Tuniscia O the Empowered Stepmother
Tuniscia O the Empowered Stepmother offers mastermind groups, an Empowered Stepmother series, speaking presentations and more all aimed at strengthening blended families. Learn more about stepping into your role as a step-father or step-mother with help from Tuniscia O the Empowered Stepmother. To learn more and get in touch, visit our website here.
Register for the A Time to Heal Motherhood Conference on November 3, 2019, from 1-6pm.
Click here to register.
Motherhood is a journey of a lifetime.
This event is a time to discuss some of the "secret conversations" which leave us disappointed, feeling judged and alone, pained, traumatized, living in fear, feeling rejected, unforgivable and unworthy.
Speakers will address:
-Loss of a Mother
-Single Motherhood while going through a Divorce
-Healing After a Divorce
-Relationships with Stepchildren After a Divorce
-Building Rapport with Adult Stepchildren
-In-Laws who Overstep their Boundaries.
This is a time to bond through motherhood and sisterhood to heal our hearts and homes. There will be an open dialog and conversations to heal.
Click here to register. Purchase your tickets TODAY!! Bring your adult daughters, friends, family, and colleagues.
From my family to yours, we love you!
Tuniscia O the Empowered Stepmother